All Years Social Media Family Survey
As part of our continual drive to keep our pupils safe online we are asking all pupils to complete a survey on their family for homework. The aim of the survey is not to pry into home life but to generate discussion between pupils and their family about online safety. The section for family members is anonymous to ensure confidentiality.
The only data that will be stored from this survey is the names of the social media apps that your children are using. We can then use this data to tailor our lessons to teach children how to use these apps safely.
We thank you for your anticipated support on this project.
Year 8 Homework Project - Microbit Pacman
Click this link to open the Microbit website https://www.microbit.co.uk/create-code
1) First we need to create a function create sprite at the x, y coordinates and that set the variable called hero on the BBC micro:bit the first time we play.
2) Let's set up where we want our ghost will be. Create starting positions of the hero, ghost, and food in each individual quadrant. We will ensure that the ghost, food, and hero is set apart. Divide the BBC micro:bit into 4 quadrants. We don't want hero to be too close to the ghost so let's make the ghost starting positions in the 3 other quadrants. Hero is in the one quadrant. To do this, we need to keep track of the middle point in each quadrant. Create sprite at the x, y coordinates for the hero, food, and ghost.
3) Create a function called change blink that will plot a blinking point so the player can tell between a ghost and hero. The ghost should now blink whilst you are playing).
4) We want to identify the food so the player moves towards the food. We need to set the brightness of the variable food to 8. The brightness of the LED screen is expressed as a number between 0 and 255.
5) We want to include a block from the Loops drawer called While. Then set the While loop to true. This code will be important for repeating code of the game logic of the game. The game will continue to run using While loop while the Boolean condition is true. Finally, include a pause of 400 milliseconds before the logic of the game begins.
6) Let's create a function that will take care of keep the ghost pursuing the hero. We will need to a conditional statement that checks the position of the ghost and hero. The first condition will check if the horizontal coordinates of the ghost is less than the horizontal coordinates of the hero. We create a function from the Game drawer that will check the coordinates of the hero and the ghost. Finally, change the x-direction of the ghost by 1.
Then create another function that will take care of keep the ghost pursuing the hero. We will need to a conditional statement that checks the position of the ghost and hero. The second condition will check if the horizontal coordinates of the ghost is greater than the x-direction of hero. We create a function from the Game drawer that will check the x-direction of hero and ghost. Finally, change the x-direction of the ghost by -1.
7) Let's create the third function and forth function that continues the same logic in the y-direction of pacman and ghost. We create a function from the Game drawer that will check the y-direction of pacman and ghost. Finally, change the y-direction of the ghost to continue following pacman.
8) Let's enable pacman to move in the x-direction and move in the y-direction with acceleration using the BBC micro:bit sensor
9) Do not disconnect the blocks for the conditional statements. We are focusing on this section of the code and are not showing the entire code
Let's setup the logic for the food. If hero is touching "food", increase the score of the game by 1 and set x -direction of food randomly randomly from 0 to 4 and set y-direction of food randomly from 0 to 4.
10) Do not disconnect the blocks from the conditional statements. We are focusing on this section of the code and are not showing the entire code
Let's setup the logic for the food and the ghost to be in different quadrants.
11) Do not disconnect the blocks for the conditional statements. We are focusing on this section of the code and are not showing the entire code
The game over component is now upon the game. If the hero is touching the ghost, let's display game over.
12) Do not disconnect the conditional statements blocks from the remaining blocks. We are focusing on this section of the code and are not showing the entire code
The game can also use the buttons. Let's create a while loop for button A is pressed. If button A is pressed, the micro:bit will display the word Hero. Let's use a while loop for button B is pressed. If button B is pressed, the micro:bit will display image of the hero.
It starts straight away. Can you give instructions and a menu first? E.g. press __ to start.
Can you add messages, images or sounds to your game? High-pitched beeps for good things and low for bad. You could try to add a sombre tune when you are caught.
School Uniform and Footwear
We are aware that over the coming weeks you will be replacing your child’s school uniform and footwear. With many shops now retaling unacceptable or inappropriate garments in their ‘schoolwear’ ranges, we would like to take the opportunity to clarify with you what is, and is not, acceptable. ...
Snapchat Bitmoji GPS Tracking
Snapchat has just had a huge update. It now shows where any of the user's (your child's) friends are at any time. It uses GPS to precisely pinpoint on a map where the users are, even changing to a car when they move quickly. Your child and other users are depicted by a Bitmoji. Once you get onto ...
Stone Rocks Saturday 15th July 2017
On Saturday 15th July at 12 noon we will be hosting our annual musical extravaganza. We will be showcasing young musicians from schools in the Stone area. There will also be a variety of refreshments available to buy. Wristband are on sale from Mr Harrison. Adults £3 Children £1 Und...
Supporting Children Following Acts of Terror
Following the dreadful events in Manchester this week, it is understandable that our children will have questions about such attacks. Here are some websites offering support for parents when speaking to our children. https://www.safeguardinginschools.co.uk/supporting-school-children-terrorist-...
Please be alert for signs of your children using the social media app Sayat.me. This app allows users to post anonymous reviews of other people. This has led to children posting abuse to others that is visble to the world. If you see your child using this app please talk about what abuse that...
Blue Whale Challenge Craze Warning
Please be alert for signs of your children playing the 'Blue Whale Challenge Game' on social media sites. The game is named Blue Whale Challenge as whales are believed to voluntary wash up on the beach and die. The craze started in Russia and is linked to 130 young suicides there last year. This ...
Parents Evenings Booking Form
Visit this link to access our parents evening booking system. https://christchurch.parentseveningsystem.co.uk/ ...
Home Access Logging On
Help support when logging on to the school system from home. Click here to go to the help page. ...
The latest edition of the Chronicle. Click here to access. ...